Helpful Dental Information Roanoke, VA
At Merritt Dental, we are passionate about oral health and ensuring that our patients have the tools and resources they need to maintain healthy teeth for a lifetime. As a rule of thumb, this demands ongoing, preventative dental care. It also requires education so that you become aware of your dental solutions and what you can do to stay healthy at home. Here, we provide some helpful dental information on oral health. We encourage you to find the section you are interested in and read more details on our website. If you have further questions, call our dental office at (540) 597-1983.
Q & A: Common Dental Questions
- Oral Hygiene Basics
- At Merritt Dental, we are passionate about patient education and will take time to show you how to brush and floss properly when you visit our dental office. We recommend that you brush your teeth two to three times a day using a fluoride toothpaste for two minutes at a time. This will help to keep your teeth clean and healthy when also combined with daily flossing. You should still visit our Roanoke office for a professional teeth cleaning twice per year.
- Preventative Dental Care
- Preventative dental care is vital to maintaining lifelong oral health. When providing patients with helpful dental information, we always recommend regular teeth cleanings, fluoride treatments for children and potentially – dental sealants. These three things can work together to reduce the likelihood of you and your children developing cavities. At Merritt Dental, we can create a preventative dental care plan for you and your family.
- The Dental Implant Procedure
- In the dental implant procedure, a titanium post is implanted under the gums and secured to the jawbone. Over the course of a few months, the process of osseointegration will take place and the jawbone will become fused with the implant. Once done, the jawbone will provide the same level of stability to the new tooth that it did to the natural one.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Helpful Dental Information Roanoke
For more helpful dental information, read our website or call (540) 597-1983 to schedule an appointment with Michael Sherman. At Merritt Dental we will be happy to answer any questions you have about oral health from our Roanoke dental office.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries is also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Helpful Dental Information
Preventative dental care is critical. For most people, the word "dental appointment" brings anxiety and dread. There are many reasons why people feel this way like how dentists have been historically portrayed in the media or past bad experiences.The reality is that a visit to the dentist can save a person a lot of pain,…
Advancements in cosmetic dentistry ensure that everyone can get that perfect smile. No matter what tooth defects a person may experience, there are several procedures a person can rely on to correct them.If a person has any broken or chipped teeth, then a cosmetic dentist might be the answer. When it comes to cosmetic dentistry,…
We are committed to providing quality service to residents located In the Roanoke, VA area. Our website has additional information about the following topics: Dentist, Cosmetic Dentist, Family Dentist, General Dentist, Emergency Dentist, Denture Restoration, Teeth Whitening, Full Dentures, Dentures and Dental Crowns.
Teeth straightening is a great way to get the smile you have always wanted, yet the process is not always fast. Nowadays, there are better ways to straighten the teeth. These new processes are called accelerated orthodontics, which is forms of treatments aimed at achieving regular orthodontic treatment at a faster rate.This is an excellent…